Tuesday, December 19, 2006

What's in a name?

Thank you to Paula and Bekah who have renewed my interest in our family's names and their meanings. Although they have changed slightly over the years due to circumstances, Chris and I had names picked out for our children before we were even married. Amazingly enough choosing names is one of the things we quickly agreed on. I know it is hard for a lot of couple to agree on but not us.

I did a bit of research and discovered that I live in a house full of Greeks. Except for me, everyone has a Greek derived name. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with the Greek heritage. In fact, Chris' Great Aunt Mary has a Macedonian (a region of Greece) heritage that lends itself to some very tasty treats at Christmas time. It just happens to make me the oddball for now.

Christopher means Christbearer, Alexander means Defender of Men and Colin means Victor. Baby Timothy, who we'll one day see again in heaven, also has a Greek name meaning honoring God.

Even the cats have Greek names: Pandora is the goddess of gifts and Athena is the goddess of wisdom and war. Pandora's name was chosen because we brought the curious little thing home in a box. We wanted to stick with the goddess theme when we chose Athena, but she sure has lived up to her name. She is the alpha female and constantly alerting us with her war chatter to bugs, spiders squirrels, etc.

Which brings me to my name.... it's Latin! And it means beloved. The thing I have always loved about my name is that it means the same as my dad's - David. And if we ever have a girl, the name we picked out, Kathryn, also means beloved - but alas, we would have another Greek in the family.

1 comment:

Bekah said...

That is great!!! You've done some good research! Now I want to go look up my own. I can do that because I'm not sure what to do right now...so yay! A project. :)