So we are members of this Yahoo group called Freecycle. Basically there are people in our county (other members) who post stuff that they want to give away... hoping that they may be someone else's treasure instead of getting dumped in the landfills. Anyway, if you have something you want to give away, you send an email to the group and then if someone wants it, they reply and then go pick it up. On Sunday, a lady posted that she had some kitchen items including a toaster oven to give away. We jumped on that offer since I've been wanting one ever since our other one died a few years ago. One of the other things she was giving away was a small animal cage. Enough said, we wanted that too. Then she replied, "You wouldn't by any chance want a little hamster to go with it, would you?" Those of you who know me, know what I was thinking... Free hamster (pet that doesn't cost much to take care of) and free cage... What a great combination.
So Sunday night, Rainbow joined our family! She is about a little over a month old and is the sweetest thing. Alex loves petting her and watching her run around in her ball. Colin just wants the ball. She is in addition to the old standbys (Pandora and Athena, the cats) and the fish (Sprinkle-Sparkles (long story) , Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack (another long story) and the pleco).
This is not Rainbow but she looks very similar. I'll try to repost a real pic when I take one.

5 comments:
Enjoy your new little pet - - - but before you get her a PARTNER - - - read this little tale:
My sister gave us two gerbils for Easter one year. We THOUGHT they were the same sex - - - but NOT. We soon had baby gerbils galore, and before they grew up more, and before they grew up more - - - - finally in desperation I told Keri(who was about 3 or 4 at the time) that I was going to give them their freedom. And we let them take their chances of survival out in the great wild outdoor world. Bye-bye Gerbils!!!
Congratulations on the addition to your family. :)
Keetha, we just read that gerbils can have up to 24 babies at a time (how in the world they all fit in their little bodies is beyond me)! How fun! Thankfully, unlike gerbils, Syrian hamsters like to live alone, and according to the books, we got her before she was "mature". I'm pretty sure she is going to be an 'only rodent' as long as I have anything to say about it :)
Devin - Thanks for the congrats! You know Katy and Caleb are going to want one too :)
Did your book also tell you that they start EATING those young when their cage is too crowded from all they young they've been having???
Yah - - - well - - - thus their release to freedom in the great outdoors.
I think you're safer with your hamster.
Keetha, I just have one word, "Ewwwww!"
Post a Comment